Saturday, August 29, 2026

Soup #7 - Cheese Soup

 The Year of Soup

Soup #7 - Cheese Soup


    This recipe is based off of a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks in my collection. Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, published in 1996. This soup has red pepper, celery, carrot and green onion instead of broccoli, which is what you normally would see in a cheese soup. I did modify a little and I'll show those modifications in italics. One modification was that I mistakenly used water in place of 2 cups of milk. The first cup of milk was in there. I just forgot to do milk for the other 2 cups and it turned out totally fine. Also, I used black pepper instead of white pepper.

    The recipe calls for chopping the veggies in the recipe and I wished I'd diced them or had cooked them a little longer before adding the other ingredients. It's all good. The soup still turned out good. The soup does not call for any extra salt, and I chose to sprinkle a little on my soup when I served myself. I also added extra green onion and croutons as toppings. Feel free to add those or maybe even chopped cooked bacon. 

    Try this soup, because I think you'll like it. 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped or diced carrot

1/2 cups sliced or diced celery

1/2 cups chopped or diced red pepper

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion 

1 cup water

3 cups milk

1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp instant chicken bouillon

1/4 tsp white or black pepper 

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese or Monterrey Jack

Optional Toppings: diced cooked bacon, croutons, sliced green onion, Sriracha sauce, salt

Directions:

In a large pot or saucepan cook the first three ingredients (carrot, red pepper, celery) in water for five minutes or until tender. Do not drain. In a medium-sized bowl, gradually stir in about 1 cup of the milk into the flour, whisking until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the vegetables and water in the saucepan, a long with the rest of the milk, chicken bouillon and pepper. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir for one minute more and stir in your cheeses, until melted. Serve with toppings of your choice, a long with a nice salad and nice crusty bread for a more complete meal. 

Cheese Soup

Cheese Soup




No comments:

Post a Comment

Soup #7 - Cheese Soup

  The Year of Soup Soup #7 - Cheese Soup      This recipe is based off of a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks in my collection. Better ...